These steps are for students who do not have an IU account yet with an IU email. This information can also be found in further depth here.
New to the IU system
Setting up your account
Allow yourself 10 to 15 minutes to complete the account creation process. Your session will time out if left inactive for more than 15 consecutive minutes, requiring that you log in and begin the process again.
Your account should be created within 20 minutes. On some occasions, it may take up to 24 hours to be created. If your account hasn't been created after 24 hours, please contact the IUPUI support desk.
Please follow these steps carefully. Completing this process will allow you to view your financial aid awards in no time.
Steps to create your IU Account
- Go to Create My First IU Account.
- Enter your last name, date of birth, and University ID number in the fields provided. Click
Note: If you have multiple unhyphenated last names, enter all of your last names with no spaces between them.
- You will see an Acceptable Use Agreement, which contains rules and policies for IT account use at IU. After you have read the Agreement, enter
Yesto agree to these policies, and then click
- Select a username from the available options, and then click
- Enter the passphrase you want to use in both fields, and then click
Next. For information about selecting a valid and secure passphrase, see Your IU passphrase.
- Select at least three different passphrase questions from the drop-down list and type the correct answers into the fields provided. If you'd like more questions, click
Add Another Question.
- By default, IU provides everyone an email address with the
@iu.edudomain. To continue, click
- Select a device to enroll in Two-Step Login (Duo), and then click
Next. Using Duo in addition to your passphrase adds extra security to your account.
- Following the instructions, use the Duo Control Panel to enroll your device, and then click
- The summary provides an overview of your account information. If you've been given an email address, you'll see your designated email service (Gmail at IU for most students). To find out more about IU's IT benefits, click
Getting Started Guide.
Verify your account
Allow 20 minutes for the system to create your account. Then, follow these steps:
- Go to Your Accounts.
- The following accounts should be listed as "Created":
- Active Directory Service
- The email account(s) you created
If these are not listed after 24 hours, contact the IUPUI Campus Support Center.